Your Cart
why do rings turn your finger green

Why Do Rings Turn Your Finger Green


Have you ever worn fingers that turn green, and you don’t know where it’s from? In this article, we’ll discuss why do rings turn your finger green. But usually, when somebody’s finger is turning, it’s not always turning green. Sometimes it’s also turning black or brown, and that’s called finger smudge.

In this article we discuss the following:

  • Will a metal ring turn ringer green?
  • You may be allergic to brass
  • How to stop a ring from turning your finger green?
  • How to fix green finger from ring?
  • Do stainless steel rings turn your finger green?
  • Why do rings turn your finger green FAQS

Will A Metal Ring Turn Finger Green?

Why do rings turn your finger green? This happens because of the metal content in the fingers. It’s either a chemical reaction between your skin and the metal or between the substance on your skin and the metal itself. Here’s your breakdown of all the different types of metals that will tarnish or turn your skin green, or won’t even have that effect whatsoever.

why do rings turn your finger green
why do rings turn your finger green


First, we’re going to be talking about brass. Usually, when you’re buying jewelry, it usually is a mixture of it all, or it’ll be like the base metal, and then it’ll have a plating on top.

But brass is the kind of metal that definitely turns your green. Brass is made up of copper and zinc, and the combination of the two is what causes your ear to turn green. Copper specifically is what comes in contact with your skin and starts oxidizing and also ends up turning your skin green.

Gold plating, gold vermeil, gold filled, or anything that has gold on top and something else on the bottom usually are the ones that will tarnish, only depending on the kind of plating on top. For example, gold vermeil is a thick plating on the top and then a basement on the bottom.

Gold fill is a very thick plating, and then there’s a very small amount of basement on the bottom. So, it all depends on the kind of plating that you have. The thinner the plating, the faster it’s going to wear out. The thicker the plating, the less likely it’s going to wear out. So, whenever you’re worried about it turning green, look for the different types of gold platings that are available.

Sterling Silver

The next metal is sterling silver. Sterling silver definitely will oxidize and change the color of the metal and your skin at the same time. Only because sterling silver has 92.5% silver, and the rest of the 7.5% is a mixture of other different metals like copper, zinc, alloy, and all those mixtures that oxidize your skin and change color.

Stainless Steel

The next metal is stainless steel or surgical steel. So, this metal does not tarnish. This is because it has a layer of chromium which creates a thin layer of protection between your skin and the metal. So, it doesn’t cause any kind of oxidation to happen.


Titanium is the last metal. Well, titanium is absolutely the safest and best metal you could put in your body because it absolutely will not change color. They use titanium in all sorts of surgeries, and it lives in your body for a long period of time, almost forever.

So, obviously, medical professionals are not going to use the kind of metal that’s going to change color or give problems, especially if it’s inside a human body. The same thing goes for fingers. It’s not going to worry about changing color. It just does not have that effect. So, if you’re very sensitive and you don’t like things changing your color, and you’re a big fan of gray silver, titanium is the exact metal you’re looking for.

You May Be Allergic To Brass

Why do rings turn your finger green? You can be allergic to the brass and you can have an actual physical or a chemical reaction to it. And a lot of times with people that have finger smudge problems, it’s not 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.

A woman that gets pregnant that never had a finger smudged, because her body chemistry changes all of a sudden she’ll get finger smudged. After she has her baby, it’ll go away. Sometimes, in the summer your finger will smudge more, sometimes in the winter it will. Sometimes it’ll smudge and then you’ll go three or four years without getting this.

How To Stop A Ring From Turning Your Finger Green?

Spend More Money On Your Jewelry

How to keep a ring from turning your finger green? The first and most obvious answer is always to spend more money on your jewelry because expensive jewelry doesn’t do that as a rule.

Add A Top Coat And Paint The Inside Of the Rings

You can use a big quick top coat to paint on the inside of your rings, you don’t need to put too much, just a little bit. If it gets too thick, once it’s dry, it’ll start peeling off. So, you just need to do a nice thin layer so it won’t come off. When top-coated the inside of this ring, and the only thing you have to do is let it sit and dry. And you’re able to wear them without leaving green rings.

Clean Rings Regularly

ring holder necklace
ring holder necklace

Place the ring in warm water, add a small amount of dish soap and baking soda, and gently wipe it down with a soft bristle brush. Wipe clean with a dry cloth after washing. Don’t wear rings in wet environments: If possible, avoid wearing rings while bathing, swimming, or washing dishes. Moist conditions promote the oxidation of metals, leading to darkening of the skin. Sometimes, you can use ring holder necklaces.

How To Fix Green Finger From Ring?

Clean your fingers, wash your hands with warm water and soap, gently wipe black stains, and consult your doctor if your fingers continue to turn black or if you experience other symptoms, such as pain, redness, and swelling.

Do Stainless Steel Rings Turn Your Finger Green?

Stainless steel rings are one of the more durable ring materials and generally do not cause the finger to turn green or black. The stainless steel ring is mainly composed of chromium, nickel, molybdenum, and other metals, and its corrosion resistance and oxidation resistance can effectively reduce the oxidation and dirt on the surface of the ring, reducing the chance of making fingers black.

However, because stainless steel rings vary in manufacture and material quality, some low-quality stainless steel rings may contain a higher percentage of nickel, which may cause some people to be allergic to them, resulting in skin discomfort and even allergic symptoms.

Therefore, if you are allergic to stainless steel rings or have other skin problems, it is recommended to suspend wearing or replace other ring materials. In addition, for all types of rings, regular cleaning and maintenance are important measures to reduce the blackening of fingers.

Conclusion On Why Do Rings Turn Your Finger Green

There are several reasons why do rings turn your finger green. The most common cause is the reaction between the metal in the ring and the acidity of your skin. This reaction can be exacerbated by factors such as sweating, wearing the ring for extended periods, or exposure to water. 

To prevent your ring from turning your finger green, you can try coating the inside of the ring with clear nail polish, limiting the amount of time you wear the ring, or purchasing higher-quality jewelry. By taking the necessary precautions, you can continue to wear your favorite rings without having to worry about the unsightly green discoloration on your fingers.

Why Do Rings Turn Your Finger Green FAQS

Does Sterling Silver Turn Your Finger Green?

Silver rings can sometimes turn fingers green or black after being worn for too long. This is because the chemical properties of silver make it easy to oxidize, forming silver oxide, which in turn reacts with sweat and chemicals on the surface of the skin to produce black sulfide deposits that cause fingers to turn black.

Why Is My 14k Gold Ring Turning My Finger Green?

Although gold itself rarely causes allergies in people, understanding the composition of the gold in your jewelry is essential in comprehending why finger smudging occurs. Specifically, when it comes to gold jewelry, 14k gold is a type of gold alloy that contains 58.3% pure gold, with the remaining 41.7% made up of other metals such as silver, copper, nickel, and zinc.

The gold does not typically affect your skin, but rather the remaining parts of the alloy. Each piece of jewelry has a unique composition, and there are no set regulations determining what those 41.7% additional parts may consist of. This means that the alloy could contain various metals such as nickel, copper, and silver. In many cases, silver, which is prone to tarnishing naturally, can cause smudging on your fingers.

Is It Safe To Wear Rings That Turn Your Finger Green?

It’s important to note that while a green ring can be unsightly, it is generally not harmful to your health. However, if you experience any discomfort or irritation, it’s best to remove the ring and consult with a medical professional.

Thank you for reading. Hope you enjoy this article about why do rings turn your finger green.

Relevant Products

Ring holder necklace